Summer can be a magical time for kids. The freedom of a sunny day and the warm nights filled with crickets and stars can set the mind free. This list was originally written by Italian teacher, Cesare Cata in 2015.
This summer, 100 Mile Club Coach Nancy Laines sent it to her kids but with some edits to fit their needs. We think it is beautiful and wanted to share with you…
TO ALL MY STUDENTS:
1. In the early morning, go for a walk. Watch the sun rise, listen to the birds, and think about the things you love most in life and feel happy. The summer of 2017 is a great time to walk together.
2. Try using all the new words you learned this year. You can say more things, you can think more things and the more you can think, the freer you’ll feel.
3. Read, as much as possible. Not because you have to. Read because the summer inspires you. Read because it is the best form of rebellion.
4. Avoid all things, situations and persons that make you feel negative and empty. Look for stimulating situations and friends who appreciate and understand you for who you are.
5. If you feel sad or scared, do not worry. The summer, like all great things, puts the soul in harmony. Try keeping a diary where you can write about your feelings.
6. Dance – without feeling ashamed. On the street near your home or in your bedroom. The summer is a dance. It would be a shame not to be a part of it.
7. At least once, watch the sunset. Stand there in silence and breathe. Close your eyes, grateful.
8. Play a lot of sports. Even if you feel like you are not “good” at them…just PLAY. Sports are supposed to be fun!
9. If you see a person near you in life, bestow on them your gratitude. No matter if he or she understands. If they don’t reciprocate, then he/she was not meant to be part of your destiny.
10. Remember what you learned in school and refer to your notes.
11. Be happy like the sun, untamed like the sea.
12. Don’t utter curse words. Always be polite and gentle.
13. Watch movies with dialogue that is poignant. This will help you improve your language skills and your chance to dream.
14. During the daylight or at night, dream about what your life may be like. During the summer, summon the strength not to give up and do everything you can to pursue that dream.
15. Be good.